[vcf-midatlantic] NeXT(s) f/s in Maryland

Tony Bogan thebogans at mac.com
Thu Jan 17 08:42:36 EST 2019

On Jan 17, 2019, at 7:55 AM, Evan Koblentz via vcf-midatlantic <vcf-midatlantic at lists.vcfed.org> wrote:

>>> Is this about the expense or the transport?
>
> Nope. Our policy is that we don't purchase artifacts. We only accept
> donations.
>
>>> Has anybody reached out to him officially on behalf of VCF? I think
> "we're a nonprofit dedicated to... _mission_ that doesn't have a BeBox, and
> this would be a key part of our collection. It would be very appreciated."
> Is a compelling point to make for someone who clearly cares about his
> collection.
>
> We did not reach out. Unfortunately, we've found that such requests fall on
> deaf ears. Once someone decides to sell, they see dollar signs not altruism.

That’s understood. I’ve been responsible for fundraising for two different non-profits for over a decade. Different circumstances as we aren’t typically looking for artifacts, but still.

However, sending a Facebook message literally takes all of about 1 minute, a couple minutes if you wish to be lengthy.

The worst that can happen is no response or a “no.”
Not even trying accomplishes nothing, trying is not even a waste of time since we are actually talking 60 seconds.

Additionally, since this person is apparently unloading a significant amount of valuable equipment, the tax break angle can legitimately come into play here.

I  am not on the board, so I cannot reach out on behalf of VCF. However, I would ask that those who can please do.

Tony