[vcf-midatlantic] Now: BeBox Was: NeXT

systems_glitch systems.glitch at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 16:51:33 EST 2019

I've got a dual 133 MHz BeBox I'm working on fixing up. I bought it from a
local guy, it had been bricked some time in the 90's by a bad firmware
update. Another BeBox owner on #vc IRC got me the flash rescue floppy for
BeOS PR1, and that's gotten it as far as being able to actually boot the
NetBSD 8 installer. Apparently the floppy rescue is often unreliable
though, I don't get the Be logo on startup, and BeOS doesn't want to finish
booting.

It is indeed very interesting hardware, with an interesting OS to go with
it. Growing up, a friend of mine had one -- his dad worked for TWA as a
programmer and had convinced them to get him a 66 MHz BeBox. When the 133
MHz version came along, my friend got the old 66 MHz one.

Thanks,
Jonathan

On Thu, Jan 17, 2019 at 3:10 PM Glenn Holmer via vcf-midatlantic <