[vcf-midatlantic] help with sun 3/50 video

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Wed Jun 26 22:31:02 EDT 2019

On 6/26/19 6:40 PM, Andrew Diller via vcf-midatlantic wrote:
> I picked up a Sun 3/50 that works fine but I need a mono crt for it. I'm wondering if anyone here has experience with them and remembers if other monitors work or what the specs are with them. I have a keyboard and am getting a mouse.

  The resolution is 1152x900.  I think the sync rates are H=61.8kHz and
V=66Hz but I may not be remembering that correctly.  The 3/50's onboard
framebuffer is monochrome, 1-bit deep.  The interface is TTL, if memory
serves, but it has been awhile.  There are earlier Sun monitors which
look identical but use an ECL interface, which are typically used with
Sun-2 systems.  These do not interoperate.

  I've never seen a non-Sun monitor in use on a Sun monochrome
framebuffer at the traditional hardware-imposed 1152x900 resolution.
But then again, in my world, Sun monitors were always a whole lot more
common than those weird ones that PCs use. ;)

  Also, along those lines, just in case you aren't aware, Suns of this
variety implement fixed-frequency video subsystems.  No changing the
display resolution to change font size or any such foolishness...the
workstation world knew about scalable fonts decades ago.

             -Dave

--
Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
New Kensington, PA