[vcf-midatlantic] Princeton data center visit

laurakid laurakid7 at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 28 01:13:42 EDT 2019

bummer.  would have been cool to see

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone

On Thursday, June 27, 2019, 10:49 PM, Evan Koblentz via vcf-midatlantic <vcf-midatlantic at lists.vcfed.org> wrote:

Only two or three people expressed interest in seeing the Princeton U.
data center, and I had a different reason to be on their campus today,
so I asked for a last-minute tour and my contact their obliged.

They have multiple data centers. Most of them are production IT. The one
they showed me has some IT but mostly it's science:

https://facilities.princeton.edu/projects/high-performance-computing-research-center

I was blown away by how clean it is inside! :) It's almost mostly
lights-out -- I only saw two employees during the 60-minute tour, and
the lights went on/off automatically as we traversed the hallways.

Pictures (personal use only): http://tinyurl.com/y2n2g4se

The files called electric.jpg, standby.jpg, pipes.jpg, and overview.jpg
are self-explanatory.

Financial.jpg is a cage with special security for one rack that's used
with credit card transactions.

Super_hp.jpg is "TIGER" -- their HPE-designed supercomputer.

IBM_9.jpg is their newest machine under construction.

I spotted some interesting older equipment (can't say what yet) which
might fit into VCF-land :), so hopefully we can make that happen.

--
Evan Koblentz, executive director
Vintage Computer Federation

www.vcfed.org
evan at vcfed.org
(646) 546-9999

VCF is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization