[vcf-midatlantic] WTD: PDP-11 tape drive?

W2HX w2hx at w2hx.com
Thu Mar 7 07:07:07 EST 2019

Thanks, Dave.

>>    Just remove them and you'll be fine.  The "right"
connectors for the Pertec 2-connector formatted tape interface are right
there...take off that partial back cover with the DB25/DC37 connectors
on it.  Each DB25/DC37 connector pair should connect to a single ribbon
cable, which goes to a 50-pin IDC connector that's plugged into the back
of the drive.  Unplug those, and there's your Pertec interface.

Yes I did as you suggested. and you are right. Here is the rear of the unit with the back panel removed:

http://w2hx.com/x/VintageComp/Fujitsu-2444AC/0306192310.jpg

I see two 50 pin headers. I will have to check the docs for the QT13 (which I don't yet have) and I guess it has two 50 pin headers as well? Where does one find 50 foot ribbon cables with idc headers and what length should the be (or what would be too long)? I'll review the docs today and maybe it will have some answers here.

 >>I'm pretty sure the technical manual for this drive is up on
Bitsavers.  If you don't see it there, let me know, I have a paper copy
that I can either get into the LSSM's scanning queue, or just let you
borrow it.

Thanks for the offer, someone has pointed me to the file on bitsavers so I should be good to go there.