[vcf-midatlantic] Tandy 6000HD lives!

Mike Loewen mloewen at cpumagic.scol.pa.us
Fri Mar 15 01:06:10 EDT 2019

    Another Tandy 6000HD lives again! The hard drive had a bad head, and was
replaced with a Seagate ST-251 (thank you, David Gesswein). The foil-and-foam
Keytronics keyboard required a complete rebuild (disintegrating foam), and a
Sun Type 4 keyboard was sacrificed to provide replacement pads. The Sun pads
will no doubt eventually go as well, but they're from 1991 and in really good
shape. The upper case was severely cracked in multiple places, and I did my
best to stick it back together with MEK. Finally, I formatted the drive and
installed Xenix 3.2 and the full development system from 8" diskettes. This
system is going to the LSSM (Large Scale Systems Museum), for their new Unix
workstation section.

http://q7.neurotica.com/Oldtech/Soltoff6000HD.jpg

    This particular machine was once owned by Roy Soltoff of MISOSYS.  When I
emailed him about it, he replied:

"It probably was not used for anything much. Back in the late 80s, I had
accumulated a few 16s and 6000 - but never did much with them. Most of the old
equipment was sold off to someone in NJ for a computer museum."

Mike Loewen				mloewen at cpumagic.scol.pa.us