[vcf-midatlantic] DIP switches

Jameel Akari jakari at bithose.com
Thu Mar 28 13:06:07 EDT 2019

On 2019-03-28 12:56, Mike Loewen via vcf-midatlantic wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Mar 2019, Ethan O'Toole wrote:
>
>>>    This is the second time I've had problems with DIP switches in
>>> vintage
>>>  HP gear.  The other was in a 2117F I was working on for Dave
>>> McGuire.
>>>  Same cure.
>>
>> Contact oxidation?
>
>    That would be my assumption.

As I was gathering hardware together for VCF-East I was just wondering
about doing things like this as standard procedure -- reseating
connectors and sockets.  DIP switches and jumpers didn't occur to me.

I feel this is probably subjective, but what do people think about doing
this as a matter of course?

I can understand "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" but it's also
maddening to have strange intermittent failures that might be
preventable.

--
Jameel Akari