[vcf-midatlantic] OT: how to end an email, in Europe

Herb Johnson hjohnson at retrotechnology.info
Thu May 9 22:21:43 EDT 2019

So today, I was corresponding with a stranger in Ireland. He had the
impression I was upset with our correspondence. I wasn't sure what the
issue was, maybe my use of capital letters at some point. However, he
informed me as an afterthought, as follows:

> Herb a last point, if you care, which maybe you don’t. To sign off a communique, whether written or electronic, with just your name, is considered an expression of great anger in Europe. :-)
>

> Kind regards
> [his name]

I had ended my email, as I often do, with my name alone; no closing
social honorific or salutation or whatever it's called. (Extra points
for identifying this convention.)

This was entirely new to me. But I'm wondering, is this a true social
convention, or simply something limited to certain social classes in
Ireland, or in between? And so it occurred to me, my friends in this
list, may have such experiences, and can comment accordingly on this bit
of email etiquette. Meanwhile, it's worth a try.

Warm regards,
Herb Johnson

http://www.retrotechnology.com OR .net

http://www.retrotechnology.com OR .net