[vcf-midatlantic] OT: how to end an email, in Europe

Chris Fala chrisjpf33 at gmail.com
Fri May 10 02:02:39 EDT 2019

I learned that on eBay of all places. Good tip, Herb.

Kind regards,
Chris

On May 9, 2019, at 10:21 PM, Herb Johnson <hjohnson at retrotechnology.info> wrote:

So today, I was corresponding with a stranger in Ireland. He had the impression I was upset with our correspondence. I wasn't sure what the issue was, maybe my use of capital letters at some point. However, he informed me as an afterthought, as follows:

> Herb a last point, if you care, which maybe you don’t. To sign off a communique, whether written or electronic, with just your name, is considered an expression of great anger in Europe. :-) Kind regards
> [his name]

I had ended my email, as I often do, with my name alone; no closing social honorific or salutation or whatever it's called. (Extra points for identifying this convention.)

This was entirely new to me. But I'm wondering, is this a true social convention, or simply something limited to certain social classes in Ireland, or in between? And so it occurred to me, my friends in this list, may have such experiences, and can comment accordingly on this bit of email etiquette. Meanwhile, it's worth a try.

Warm regards,
Herb Johnson

http://www.retrotechnology.com OR .net

http://www.retrotechnology.com OR .net