[vcf-midatlantic] Hayes 1200

Jameel Akari jakari at bithose.com
Wed May 22 08:40:14 EDT 2019

On 2019-05-21 22:18, Ethan Dicks via vcf-midatlantic wrote:
> On Tue, May 21, 2019 at 9:59 PM Mike Loewen via vcf-midatlantic
> <vcf-midatlantic at lists.vcfed.org> wrote:
>>     The most expensive Hayes modem, ever!
>>
>> https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hayes-Smartmodem-1200-with-Power-Supply/202685930073

Looks like it's perched on top of some Mac A/V model... maybe the seller
is still trying to pay that off. :)

> If anyone wants to play with 1200-baud power, I can hook you up!  We
> used to issue a VT100 clone and 1200 baud non-Hayes (menu-driven
> dialer) modem for employees to work from home in the 1980s.  E-mail
> from your living room!  It was like living in the future!

If it was VT100 sized, that's a bold living room design statement.

> Seriously... anyone use modems, even with a telephone simulator?  I
> could outfit a room with enough devices to saturate an Apple II BBS...

I've setup a fax machine and fax modem in the house within the past
couple years to scan in some documents.  (fax machine = decent enough
B&W scans with an idiotproof sheet feeder)

I've got 24 analog ports on my phone switch so this is fun to play with
sometimes.

That said, I've been BBS-curious about trying some actual dialup BBSes
in the world.  The outside phone line doesn't get used for anything
else...

--
Jameel Akari