[vcf-midatlantic] Maker Faire this year

Herb Johnson hjohnson at retrotechnology.info
Thu May 23 14:55:50 EDT 2019

 > -Alexander 'Z' Pierson: Two machines come to mind: The uKENBAK-1 and
 > the ELF membership card.  I have the former, and I'm willing to lend
 > but the latter I'm sure someone else has on hand.

http://www.sunrise-ev.com/membershipcard.htm

For those not familiar: The 1802 Membership Card is a reasonable replica
to consider. It's pretty close in design, to the original 1976 RCA
COSMAC ELF. It's part of a long tradition of ELF-like systems sold over
the decades. It has toggle switches and LEDs, like the original; all
parts are like-vintage. And it's not hard to build, it's sold as a kit
with how-to-assemble manual.

All of that, is a deliberate effort to replicate the vintage experience.

This model been in distribution for several years now. Interest is
steady, people work with them in the ELF/COSMAC community.

I can provide one for display, but I can't be there to run it. In
operation, you either run it from a serial terminal (USB dongle to a
laptop), or toggle-in programs and run those (blink lights, make sounds
if there's a speaker, etc.), or run from ROM. The ROM runs a monitor, or
BASIC, or of course any program in ROM.

But even as a static display, it's pretty neat to see a small compact
microcomputer. Since it's the size of an Altoids can, it won't take much
table space.

Contact me, or the developer Lee Hart, if there's interest in displaying
a model.

Cheers,
Herb

http://www.retrotechnology.com OR .net