[vcf-midatlantic] Binocular Loupe vs Microscope for vintage electronics repair

Henry S. Courbis info at reactivemicro.com
Fri May 24 19:39:15 EDT 2019

For daily inspection I use a simple 35 x 50mm loupe:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/192449543176

For a little more power and light I use 40 x 25mm loupe.  This is name
brand.  Clones about as good for $10.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/283444814303

50x only comes out for really fine pitch SMT parts.  And even then I rarely
use it.

For a desktop scope you have several decent choices.  Vision Engineering's
Mantis Microscope is pretty good for no eye strain, large working distance,
light, etc.  Sometimes you can get a deal on a used one on eBay.  Still
might be $1k for used.

Second choice would be AmScope SM-4T.  7x-45x.  Like $500.  See youtube for
reviews.  Best thing it's trinocular so you can mount a CCTV camera and
output to any monitor you want.  So no eye strain if you do lots of work.

Third choice is AmScope SE400-Z.  10x-20x.  As low as $130, but usually
twice that price.  Not trinocular, but you can still fit a camera to the
eye piece.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/223525346066

As you probably already know, main thing with inspection scopes is the
working distance.  Unlike a loupe, you can get your hands on the board with
a soldering iron and not worry about burning off an eyebrow or worse.

$.02

Please let us know what you decide and if you like it.  I'm always looking
for new tools too.  Thanks!

Henry S. Courbis

Office Toll Free: (800) REACTIVE (732-2848)
Office/Mobile Direct: (856) 779-1900
www.ReActiveMicro.com <http://www.ReactiveMicro.com> - Sales, Support, and
News, Our Headquarters on the Internet
ReActiveMicro.com/wiki  - Support, Software, Manuals, and History. Create
your own page today!
Facebook.com/reactivemicrousa - Our Social Media Outlet and Support

On Fri, May 24, 2019 at 10:08 AM corey cohen via vcf-midatlantic <