[vcf-midatlantic] Museum Report 2019-05-26

Jeffrey Brace jeffrey at vcfed.org
Sun May 26 19:38:08 EDT 2019

Despite the good weather and holiday weekend, there was a dozen visitors
and mostly high interest. One kid about 8 years old, who came with his
parents claimed to know a lot about vintage computers. I told him, "That's
a Lisa". He's like, "I know." He seemed to have some knowledge, seemingly
to be from YouTube videos, etc. So he knew some stuff, but only a cursory
knowledge. He was quite interested in trying all of them that he only saw
on YouTube in person like the Osbourne, IBM PC, Macintosh, Apple 2, etc. He
spent time on various computers and I let him try some of them out as best
as I could. Not all of them have a lot of software with them.

Another kid, of about 10 years old was with his parents and brother. He
came to do a project on computers that he needed to graduate (his words)
from elementary school. His father said that this was the only vintage
computer museum within 200 miles. I gave him a full tour and let him try
out some computers. I showed him how tedious it was to do a simple program
on the HP 1000. I taught him the concept of octal in the process.. And I
properly biased him towards Commodore computers. I said look at this Amiga
from 1985 and look at that Macintosh from 1984, he was like "I would rather
have the Amiga." ;) I also showed him how much better the C64 was than the
Apple II. :-D He really enjoyed the tour.