[vcf-midatlantic] Speaking of the 3b1...

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Fri Nov 1 14:18:04 EDT 2019

On Fri, Nov 1, 2019 at 1:35 PM Win Heagy via vcf-midatlantic
> I have a 3b1 that I think is mostly complete and working, but I'm missing
> the mouse.  Is there anything unique about the mouse (other than its
> looks)?  Can another mouse be made to work with it?  I've seen the mouse
> listed on eBay but for $$$$.

I wasn't quickly able to find any schematics of the keyboard, just the
mainboard, but the 3B1 mouse plugs into the 3B1 keyboard via a
proprietary connector.  It's _not_ a generic mouse physically.  The
keyboard connects to the CPU via serial interface (through a 6850
UART) so it's possible that the mouse is an ordinary serial mouse of
the era.  There must be some magic in the keyboard that reads mouse
events and sends them up the serial line to the CPU.

The other trick is it's a three-button mouse which was not common in
personal computers of the era.

-ethan