[vcf-midatlantic] Gauging Interest: CompuGraphic MCS hardware

Neil Cherry ncherry at linuxha.com
Thu Nov 7 15:30:52 EST 2019

On 11/7/19 2:27 PM, Jonathan Gevaryahu via vcf-midatlantic wrote:
> This isn't the famous Linotron 202 phototypesetter that Condon, Kernighan and Thompson
> famously reverse engineered to fix a lot of bugs in it in the summer of 1979 as described
> in the paper at https://www.cs.princeton.edu/~bwk/202/summer.reconstructed.pdf
> but it is a related item, and intact phototypesetters are INCREDIBLY RARE. This could well
> be the last one of its type.

I remember being at the edge of the conversion. I worked for a company
the created products for the news paper industry. We build a centronics
interface conversion. The Linotron almost had a centronics interface
except it was +/- 25v and it needed a few delays on the control lines.
The thing smelled terrible (like strong vinegar).

We used an Microware OS9 68000 (OSK at that point) system to interface news
feeds to the typeset machines including the Linotron. At some point one
of the developers also started working with a photosetter and the Mac. It
was a tight squeeze to get it to work in 128K. The machine almost always
had to be upgraded with memory and a hard drive. I wasn't involved with
the Mac as much as the Linotron.

Linux Home Automation         Neil Cherry       ncherry at linuxha.com