[vcf-midatlantic] Museum 3B1 & PDP-8

Bill Degnan billdegnan at gmail.com
Wed Oct 30 14:58:54 EDT 2019

On Wed, Oct 30, 2019 at 2:52 PM Jameel Akari via vcf-midatlantic <

> On 2019-10-30 13:47, David Gesswein via vcf-midatlantic wrote:
> > On Wed, Oct 30, 2019 at 10:20:41AM -0400, Jameel Akari via
> > vcf-midatlantic wrote:
> >> I have boxes of disks that came with my AT&T 5300 and my 3B2, I'll
> >> take a look through them and see what 3rd party stuff is in there.
> >>

> > I assume you know the 3B1 uses a different processor than the 3B2 and
> > its
> > graphics isn't compatible with other systems of the time.
>
> Yes.  I'm just trying to find examples of what might have been available
> (and long-shot, if the software came bundled for multiple cpus.)
> Multi-user terminal mode stuff wouldn't matter on the graphics, I'd
> guess?
>

> > I assume there is some 3B2 source could be recompiled for the 3B1 and
> > would
> > be interesting.
>
> Yep.
>

> > I didn't find anything classic computer related googling the 5300.
>
> I meant 6300 (series) and specifically a 6386WGS (I think).  (These are
> x86 based.) Same reasoning in that they were more or less
> contemporaneous and in similar-ish markets.
>

> --
> Jameel Akari

anyway, when I demoed a 7300 at HOPE I set it up to be the "Hacker
Crackdown" workstation, which for many is what makes this model
famous/historic.  I put Phrack on there and communications software to
connect to BBSs, etc.  There  is a good FAQ here
http://unixpc.taronga.com/faq/faq.txt

Search for the  SCORE! public domain archive to locate software.

Bill