[vcf-midatlantic] Museum 3B1 & PDP-8

Brian L. Stuart blstuart at bellsouth.net
Thu Oct 31 12:22:03 EDT 2019

 On Thursday, October 31, 2019, 11:18:37 AM EDT, Jeffrey Brace via vcf-midatlantic <vcf-midatlantic at lists.vcfed.org> wrote:
> I wonder though if there is something like Zork for this system or if it
> can be adapted.

I used to use the 3b1 quite heavily in the early '90s, and
I'm pretty sure I remember running a build of rogue on
it, though I usually ran without the windowing system to
get a full 80 columns.

> Personally I would like a better editor than the built in “ed”. Maybe there
> is the “vi” available?

As Dave mentiones, yes there are many other editors for
it. The unixpc.taronga.com site that was mentioned earlier
is Peter da Silva's redepolyment of the site that I used
to maintain at Rhodes College in the '90s. There's a lot
of stuff there.

I even got carried away and created my own custom font
for the machine.

> I would for some show a C program and how to compile from the command line.
> But is there a GUI version.

As for a C compiler, there are a couple of gcc ports and there's
the one that comes with the dev tools.

BLS