[vcf-midatlantic] Museum 3B1 & PDP-8

David Gesswein djg at pdp8online.com
Thu Oct 31 20:44:31 EDT 2019

On Thu, Oct 31, 2019 at 11:18:16AM -0400, Jeffrey Brace via vcf-midatlantic wrote:

> I like to show the Unix prompt and how it works because it is a command
> line based OS which is much different than modern GUI.

Its a transition machine. It does have a GUI but not one of the more common
standards. With only 720x348 resolution its also pretty limited.

Like others said the space taken by the GUI wasted space you frequently
wanted for text.

There was a port of MGR https://hack.org/mc/mgr/ but I don't think it
was widely used. The machine wasn't powerfull enough to run X.

> I wonder though if there is something like Zork for this system or if it
> can be adapted.

My wife did a port. Also was involved in nethack and kept it running on
the 3B1 for a while. Current nethack won't fit.
http://www.pdp8online.com/shows/vcfe16/3b1-zork.shtml

I think you can compile the Z machine for it and run the classic games.

I'll put some of this on.