6502 vs Atmel/AVR (Was:Looking for a kid friendly 6502 assembly language book)

Roberto G. Waltman rgwaltman at warwick.net
Mon Sep 2 14:20:41 EDT 2019

Corey,

*Not* answering your question ...

Unless you would like your son to use an Apple-II, or one of the many
8-bit classic computers based on the 6502, (Commodore, Acorn, etc.) why
not use the Arduino boards with Atmel AVR CPUs ?

The benefits of learning assembly for the 6502 or an AVR will be the
same, while using the Arduino/AVR will make available a plethora of
inexpensive CPU and expansion boards, (motor driver, for example,)
projects, active communities, etc.

Some resources, not necessarily 12 years old friendly:

https://www.instructables.com/id/Command-Line-AVR-Tutorials/

http://microdigitaled.com/AVR/Articles/AVR_v1_online.pdf

http://www.avr-asm-tutorial.net/avr_en/beginner/

https://www.crcpress.com/Some-Assembly-Required-Assembly-Language-Programming-with-the-AVR-Microcontroller/Margush/p/book/9781439820643