[vcf-midatlantic] ESIX System V

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Sat Sep 7 15:46:55 EDT 2019

On 9/6/19 7:04 PM, W2HX via vcf-midatlantic wrote:
> Wow. If all of that is true, then this would seem to be a very desirable unix system. Maybe even the holy grail of unixes. However the devil is in the details. Maybe it had some flaws? I hadn't heard of it, but with those collection of features, you would think it would be extremely well known (maybe it is, maybe I'm cloistered)

  The world of PC hardware was only a very small piece of the UNIX
market, and ESIX ran only on PC hardware.  Otherwise you'd probably have
heard more about it.  It was actually quite good.  I didn't run it
personally (I had Suns), but I helped a friend get it running and I did
a lot of stuff on his machine.  It was a good, solid UNIX.  It was a bit
slow, but it was running on PC hardware, so that was par for the course.

            -Dave

--
Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
New Kensington, PA