[vcf-midatlantic] new acquisition: Intel SBC 80/10+SBC-108

David Gesswein djg at pdp8online.com
Sat Sep 21 18:11:00 EDT 2019

On Sat, Sep 21, 2019 at 05:27:00PM -0400, Herb Johnson via vcf-midatlantic wrote:
> I think to someone born after say 1995, all these "rows of boards in
> ugly boxes" look the same - S-100, Multibus, VMEbus, STDbus, SS-50,
> OSI, DEC, etc. So it disappoints me, when I see any of them
> referenced as "non-hobby" for one reason or another, past or
> present. It's my era to defend.

I took the origional posting as people weren't likely going to be
buying them new for their personal use unlike say OSI which I think is true.
My definition of hobby is personal use though that does bring up what the
correct term to refer to when you were doing your own thing with
work/school/other peoples equipment. The original definition of hacking
covered some of that. Maybe my definition of hobby is too narrow.

I caught the end of the Multibus era with my first job. Used purchased
286 processor cards and custom cards I and others designed for radar target
simulator. We debated moving to Multibus II or VME and made the right choice
of VME for later projects.