[vcf-midatlantic] How's Everyone Doing

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Fri Apr 24 03:24:31 EDT 2020

On April 24, 2020 3:16:23 AM Jeffrey Brace via vcf-midatlantic <vcf-midatlantic at lists.vcfed.org> wrote:
>k, and I will do more.
>>
>> 4. Going to fix a APC UPS for a friend. Needs new caps.
>
> Thinking out loud. Does anyone replace the batteries on them or do they
> just buy a new one? I have two with dead batteries and wonder if the cost
> justifies replacing the batteries or just get a whole new unit?

  I replace batteries in about twelve APC UPSes.  It's definitely worth it.  I have one SmartUPS 2000XL that I've had since the mid 1990s that's still going strong.  Years ago I bought two Matrix 5000s used from a surplus dealer, and got ten years of service out of one before it was destroyed by lightning, and a solid fifteen years of service out of the other before it died of natural causes just recently.

  UPS batteries are a consumable.  Lead-acid batteries last 2-3 years whether they are being used or not.

  I buy batteries from refurbups.com, for about fifteen years now.  Don't buy the "Werker" batteries at Batteries Plus, they are garbage.

                   -Dave

--
Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
New Kensington, PA