[vcf-midatlantic] How's Everyone Doing

Ethan O'Toole telmnstr at 757.org
Fri Apr 24 14:05:05 EDT 2020

>   At one point, I had a production server in the data center, an IBM RS6000
> with redundant power supplies (2). The techs were moving systems to a
> different power bus and unplugged one of the supplies: my system promptly
> shut down. It turned out that my system required THREE power supplies before
> redundancy was in effect. Oops.

Hah! Years ago when I worked at NASA Langley we ended up with a single big
RS/6000. It looked cool, black and all that. It had 3 redundant power
supplies... if any 1 of them lost power the whole machine would
immediately power off. It was overpriced garbage hehe. They sent some guy
out that spent the better part of a day going through firmware updates to
fix "the bug."

Our beautiful purple and blue SGI systems never had these issues. And
neither did the 2nd place systems... the Sun machines.

 			- Ethan