[vcf-midatlantic] Friday Class ideas - VCF East 2020

Adam Michlin amichlin at swerlin.com
Sun Feb 2 11:33:06 EST 2020

I'll just put this out there to everyone in case someone is both
qualified and interested in offering such a class.

It may be just because I'm frustrated with the lack of history coverage
in my graduate level OS class this semester (which started with UNIX in
1967 and continued on to BSD and SysV  then to Linux, ahem), but I've
become really interested in the OSes used in the past that are not UNIX.
Particularly VMS, TOPS-10, TOPS-20 (aka TENEX, I think, originall
written by BBN for DEC, not by DEC, TIL), OS/360, Multics and I'm sure
there are bunch more!

I'm not even embarrased to share that I only recently learned the the
PDP-10 was a mainframe and the PDP-11 was minicomputer (I knew the
minicomputer part - but naively assumed the PDP-10 was just a revision
between the PDP-8 and PDP-11). Very confusing!

Maybe a class that combines some history and hands on use (by the
teacher... I don't know how we could do by the students - maybe one day!)?

Probably on my mind as we shift the focus in the museum towards more and
more hands on use. A museum only needs so many UNIX<tm> machines to type
ls into, right?