[vcf-midatlantic] Working on a historical microprocessor exhibt

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Tue Feb 11 12:20:21 EST 2020

On Sun, Feb 9, 2020 at 12:47 PM David Gesswein via vcf-midatlantic
> On Sun, Feb 09, 2020 at 11:45:37AM -0500, Adam Michlin via vcf-midatlantic wrote:
> > VCF is working on a historical exhibit of CPUs (not really support
> > chips at this point). Literally just the CPUs.
> >
> > What should we have at the bare minimum? 4004, 8008, 8088, 8086,
> > 6502, Z80, 6800, 6809...?
> >
> Without your criteria hard to say. A lot were intended for embedded
> applications.

Agreed.

> Some more 8 bits 1802, F8, TMS 1000, 8048/8051, PIC, 8x300.

Yep.

> greater than 8 bit: 68000 family,  TMS 9900, 6100 (PDP-8 on a chip)

Yep.  I was going to mention the 6100 and 6120, but you already did...

> Interested in bit slice such as AM2901?

As covered elsewhere, that's a nice chip, but it's in the category of
CPU building blocks (with the 74181 and others)...

> > What should we have if we have more space? 80x86, 680x0, Sparc,
> > MIPS, Power, Alpha, ARM, Itanium...?

If you are going to that level, there's also the CVAX chip, the first
implementation of the VAX architecture on a single chip (previously
done on multiple ASICs or Am2901 bit slice or gate arrays...)

There's the F-11 and J-11 and T-11 implementations of the PDP-11.
Besides just "a PDP-11 CPU", the T-11 showed up as a microcontroller
on peripherals and in multiple arcade games (Atari System 2 platform,
games like Paperboy and others).

> AVR since popular with hobbiest and continuation of old microcontroller.

There are a few million of those in people's hands.  It's also
interesting for being Harvard Architecture (along with PIC and MCS-51
(8051 and variants))

It really comes down to what the point of the display it - you've
mentioned pointing out the rise in complexity/Moore's Law, but there's
also the time aspect (decade by decade) or product tiers (embedded,
home desktops, industrial-class machines...)  So many ways to slice
the pie.

-ethan