[vcf-midatlantic] Oh noes, wikipedia might be wrong :-0

Jeffrey Jonas jeffrey.scott.jonas at gmail.com
Tue Feb 11 18:58:51 EST 2020

I was looking up the "first" 32 bit CPU chip.
Ummm, 1980 is before 1982

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HP_FOCUS
The Hewlett-Packard FOCUS microprocessor, launched in 1982,
was the first commercial, single chip,
fully 32-bit microprocessor available on the market.
[I guess "fully 32 bit" is the key phrase: 32 bit external interface?]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorola_68000
The original MC68000 was fabricated using an HMOS process with a 3.5
um feature size.
Formally introduced in September 1979,
initial samples were released in February 1980,
with production chips available over the counter in November.

Once again, "Who Was First" is a vague and dangerous question.
I'd love to see a "Who's On First" variation about "first" computers,
with ENIAC on first :-)

I agree with defining a focus for the CPU exhibit.
Certainly the 8 bit processors are a natural grouping.
Or just the processors of the 70s:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microprocessor_chronology