[vcf-midatlantic] Working on a historical microprocessor exhibt

Adam Michlin amichlin at swerlin.com
Tue Feb 11 20:51:25 EST 2020

The current thought is microprocessors only.

An early POWER or VAX 6000 CPU board gives me yet another idea for an
exhibit in the future. I'll keep the offer in mind!

Yes, if we can pull it off, the thought is to store the "All these
things on the wall" exhibit for a later return and fill that space with
microprocessors. My thought is "All these things..." is just one way to
express the effect of Moore's Law on the world and we're going to try to
come up with different ways to illustrate the exponential growth over
the years. Furthermore, the hope is to bake the history lesson into much
of the museum.

This allows us to change things up while alwaysl letting us teach one of
the most important lessons to the next (and current) generation.

Part of it is that we talk endlessly about Z80s, 68000s, 6502s, et. all
and computers that use them, but so few people get to see the actual
microprocessor. The 1802 and 6502 are now visible on the RCA COSMAC and
KIM-1 and what a difference it makes (thanks Corey and Tony).  And
comparing a 4004 to a modern Intel i7 with some signage of things like
clock speed and transistor count would be very educational.