[vcf-midatlantic] VCF East 2020 Keynote speaker for Saturday 04/25/2020

Adam Michlin amichlin at swerlin.com
Sat Jan 4 21:09:02 EST 2020

On 1/4/2020 7:49 PM, Jeffrey Brace via vcf-midatlantic wrote:
> Announcing the first keynote speaker committed to VCF East 2020: Bill
> Mensch!!!

For those who may not know:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Mensch

"Along with three other engineers at MOS Technology, Mensch holds the
patent on the decimal correct circuitry in the 6502 CPU. He was
responsible for the basic circuit design, transistor sizing, instruction
decode logic (wishing to minimize the number of levels of logic so as to
achieve higher speed operation), oscillator design and buffer design.
Prior to leaving MOS Technology in 1977, Bill Mensch became the
microprocessor design manager at the company."

Oh, and:

"Mensch's next design, which was to become an important product at WDC,
was a 65C02-compatible 16-bit microprocessor, the 65C816 (now designated
the W65C816S). The 65C816's design came about following consultation
with Apple and was adopted by them for use in the Apple IIGS computer.
The 65C816 was later chosen as the core of the processing unit that
powered the popular Super Nintendo Entertainment System."

Much more about the 6502 coming soon (45th year anniversary!). I can
whet everyone's appetite and say we will be offering 6502 assembly
classes on both Saturday and Sunday.

Which, it immediately dawns on me, means that I will be teaching
beginning 6502 to people with Bill Mensch on the same campus, maybe in
the same room. Pardon me while I go freak out.

Best wishes,

             -Adam