[vcf-midatlantic] January workshop call to arms

David Gesswein djg at pdp8online.com
Tue Jan 7 07:32:23 EST 2020

I have been in contact with Josh Dersch through my emulator project who
has working 8010's. Evan had expressed interest in getting one working so I
had checked and he said:

Honestly, they are pretty well-built machines with decent switching power
supplies in them.  The service manual on Bitsavers covers test points for
the power supplies.  Pull the boards out, clean the edge connectors, test
the voltages under load.  The monitors may be the weak point (apart from
the stuck-heads problem on the Quantum drives) but we've had pretty good
luck with them.

The Quantum drive issue is here
http://www.pdp8online.com/q2040/q2040.shtml

I went to the warehouse with Evan at a previous workshop and we took a quick
peek but didn't have time to start anything.
At the time I think he said the monitor/keyboard wasn't their yet but was
supposed to show up later. Do we have parts for a complete system now?

I can bring my emulator so the disks can be backed up before we start
working on the machine. I can also check if I can get a good image from the
person in case the drives are dead.

I have finish the 3b1 which shouldn't take too long, possible Straight 8
work, haven't heard if paper tape could be loaded. Assuming spare time
I can assist on this.