[vcf-midatlantic] Format of SAVE'd programs on disk

Bob Applegate bob at corshamtech.com
Mon Jan 20 20:46:49 EST 2020

I’ve been doing a lot with the Microsoft 6502 source code and one of the capabilities I’ve added is being able to SAVE/LOAD from an SD card.  All of the variants of that BASIC save and load tokenized programs.  That is, the SAVE function saves the current BASIC program exactly as it appears in memory, with tokens and some ASCII data.  All of the early versions of MS BASIC did not support disk operations directly and any disk code was added later by the computer manufacturer who incorporated the MS interpreter into their systems.

Jump forward a couple years when Microsoft directly supported CP/M so that the underlying disk code could be standardized.  When a SAVE “ABC.BAS” command was executed, was the program saved tokenized still, or was it saved as all ASCII like the LIST command would produce?  Someone could then edit BASIC programs using a text editor and be able to read them back in, as opposed to having binary files that could only be edited from within BASIC itself.

I’m just wondering if it’s worth my effort to add the capability to save/load ASCII or just be happy with my tokenized version.  I’m interested to know what Microsoft did in later versions of their interpreter.

Bob