[vcf-midatlantic] connectors, was Re: Trip to Brooklyn to the Gowanus eReycling warehouse + questions

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Wed Jun 3 14:27:10 EDT 2020

On 6/3/20 1:03 PM, Jim Hart via vcf-midatlantic wrote:
> In regard to the cable for the KayPro keyboard, I believe that you can use
> a regular handset cable from a corded telephone (you know that type that
> used to sit on your desk and had have 2 pieces). I seem to remember that it
> was a feature in case it was damaged or lost while traveling.  These can
> often be had at a dollar store, some of which are open even during the
> lockdown since they sell essential items.

  FYI, these telephone handset connectors are variously known as RJ9,
RJ10, or RJ22, most commonly RJ22.  This is not an official designation,
because they don't connect directly to the public telephone network.

  The "RJ" (Registered Jack) designations also define the pinout and
signaling.  This is is why, for example, RJ48 and RJ49 are the same
connector, the former for a four-wire leased line like a T-1, and the
latter for BRI ISDN.  The telephone handset connector doesn't have an
official RJ designation because it doesn't connect directly to the
telephone network. (the common use of "RJ45" is an abuse of the naming
system; the correct name for the connector is "Modular 8P8C", 8
Position, 8 Contact)


Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
New Kensington, PA

More information about the vcf-midatlantic mailing list