[vcf-midatlantic] OT: Color Laser Printer Recommendation

madodel madodel at mac.com
Fri Jun 5 14:46:04 EDT 2020

On 6/5/20 14:18, Jeffrey Brace via vcf-midatlantic wrote:
> So I've been using HP inkjet printers for years. I haven't had any big
> problems with these until recently, but it seems the quality of inkjets has
> steadily declined over the years. I haven't had problems like I have now. I
> have two HP Photosmart 6520s and now the black ink is clogged. I followed
> some procedures to unclog it with no success. I will continue working on
> it. It is likely I will keep these printers for the document scanning
> feature, but it is likely that I will go get a color laser printer.
>
> Ian Primus who fixes printers for a living recommended laser printers over
> inkjet even though they tend to be more expensive. Inkjets tend to get
> clogged and have issues.
>
> Here are a few that Consumer Reports rates highly:
> HP Color LaserJet Pro M452nw printer
> Brother HL-L3230CDW printer
> Canon Color imageCLASS LBP622Cdw printer
>
> Does anyone recommend any particular models or brands?

Do you print heavy volume? If so check how long the drum lasts? Also on
Brothers there is eventually going to need the Waste Toner Box replaced.
For me Inkjets were always throwaways, but lasers require eventual
replacement of internal parts after several thousand sheets printed.
Advantage is they don't clog and they are fast with crisp text print. But I
have an inkjet for better quality photo printing.

I've used Brother MFC laser printers for over almost a couple decades now.
Mostly because they have great postscript support so would work with OS/2
and Linux. Now I use Macs so not so much of a need any more for Postscript.

Mark