[vcf-midatlantic] Data recovery of 8mm DAT tape (Sun Workstation)

Jeffrey Brace jeffrey at vcfed.org
Mon Mar 2 23:53:21 EST 2020

On Mon, Mar 2, 2020 at 10:01 PM Jonathan Sturges via vcf-midatlantic <

> > Someone asks:
> > "I?ve 2-3 old 8mm DAT tapes from my sun workstation that I used to back
> up
> > my sun workstations. I purchased a 8mm drive (along with a scsi
> controller,
> > cables, etc) to read the stuff, but was only able to recover a bit of the
> > data from them."
>
> > Does someone have the hardware and/or knowledge to recover this for this
> > individual?
>
> Jeff,
> I have an Exabyte 8705 drive and several Suns that support it, so I should
> be able to help.  I have some questions however.  Feel free to pass along
> my contact info.

OK. Done. FYI the guy who is inquiring co-wrote SATAN (Security
Administrator Tool for Analyzing Networks (
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Security_Administrator_Tool_for_Analyzing_Networks
).

> thanks,
> Jonathan

Jeff Brace
Vice President & Board Member, VCF East Showrunner
Vintage Computer Federation
http://www.vcfed.org/
jeffrey at vcfed.org