[vcf-midatlantic] Soldering Temp and Gauge Wire?

Chris Fala chrisjpf33 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 11 16:39:01 EDT 2020

YES!!! It saddens me that these details are so hard to find. It is more sad when people use bad techniques on irreplaceable vintage equipment.

> On Mar 11, 2020, at 4:33 PM, Mark Moulding via vcf-midatlantic <vcf-midatlantic at lists.vcfed.org> wrote:
>

> From: Chris Fala <chrisjpf33 at gmail.com>
<...>
> This excellent video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpkkfK937mU is one of
> the best explanations of the proper way to solder that I have found.

That was a good video.  I've been soldering, both professionally and for hobby reasons, since I was 7 (53 years, but who's counting), and this is the first video I've seen that that stresses the importance of a wetting of solder between the iron and the joint be soldered; it doesn't just blindly state to "apply the solder to the joint, not the iron".  This allows the joint to be soldered quickly, which is good not only because it's fast, but because it doesn't heat-stress the component or board as much.
~~
Mark Moulding