[vcf-midatlantic] VCF East 2020 Update

David Riley fraveydank at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 00:06:26 EDT 2020


On Mar 11, 2020, at 10:48 PM, Tony Bogan via vcf-midatlantic <vcf-midatlantic at lists.vcfed.org> wrote:
> 
> 
> From: Tony Bogan <thebogans at mac.com>
> Subject: VCF East 2020 Update
> Date: March 11, 2020 at 10:48:02 PM EDT
> To: vcf-midatlantic at lists.vcfed.org
> 
> 
> VCF East 2020 Update
> 
> In light of everything that is happening in the US and elsewhere with the current Flu season and Coronavirus, the VCF Mid-Atlantic Steering Committee wanted to update everyone on the current status of VCF East 2020.
> 
> As it stands, VCF East 2020 is still scheduled to take place as planned on April 24th, 25th and 26th. 

As things stand currently, I don't plan on traveling for any cons until at least June. Most epidemiological models have cases peaking around early May, give or take a few weeks, which means late April is likely to be pretty bad in terms of the effect on our national health system and follow-on effects in everyday life, not to mention the risk of infection if you're not already sick.

This is not me trying to lecture y'all, because you can do what you want. But I would definitely suggest carefully considering the additional financial and logistical burden each additional week adds if you cancel later, because people make commitments, lock down schedules, and pay for travel arrangements as things get closer.

In the infosec world, a LOT of conferences are getting canceled and moved right now, and people are feeling the pain (both people who had already committed to presenting and arranged time off work, gotten visas, booked non-refundable tickets, etc). It sucks. But most conferences have made that decision last week and this week.

If the show does go on, I wish everyone the best of luck and I'll look forward to the videos.  But I'll still be hoping for a raincheck.


- Dave



More information about the vcf-midatlantic mailing list