[vcf-midatlantic] LSSM COVID-19 shutdown, and a plea for help

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Wed Mar 18 22:59:16 EDT 2020

Hello VCFers.  I am posting this with the permission of the VCF Steering
Committee.

Dear friends of LSSM/MACT,

Due to the ongoing COVID-19 (coronavirus) pandemic, we are suspending
in-person visits to the museum, effective immediately, until May 31st.

While our museum is free for visitors, much of our operating funds come
from donations from in-person visitors, and the loss of that revenue
stream puts us at significant risk.  Even while shut down, we must pay
our normal monthly expenses, such as utility bills, to maintain our
security systems and minimal climate control, for the safety of our
exhibits.

In the past, our donors have helped us drive to far-flung places to pick
up vintage hardware, restore systems, and keep things going here.  Now,
we must ask for your help to cover these expenses.  Up until now, I
(Dave McGuire, founder) have personally absorbed any financial
shortfall, but my work as a consulting engineer in embedded systems
(under McGuire Scientific Services, LLC,
http://www.mcguirescientificservices.com) has come to a sudden halt as
my clients scale back operations.  Honestly I don't know how I'm going
to keep the power on at home, much less at the museum.  Some of you may
be in a better situation than me, and I'm asking you personally to help
LSSM/MACT survive.

The COVID-19 pandemic will deeply affect our society, but it is my hope
that we can come out of it in one piece.  Building and running our
museum has taken years of hard work by our team, and we're looking
forward to reopening to the public once this pandemic has run its
course.  We plan to do our part to help society return to some semblance
of normalcy after this crisis has passed, but we can't do it without
your help.

You may donate via PayPal or check.  Our PayPal address is
donations at mact.io.  Checks may be made out to Museum of Applied Computer
Technology, and mailed to 924 4th Avenue, New Kensington, PA 15068.

Thank you for your support, and for being a friend of LSSM/MACT.

Thank you,

Dave McGuire
President/Curator, LSSM/MACT