[vcf-midatlantic] InfoAge in The Star Ledger donates N-95 masks

Jeffrey Brace jeffrey at vcfed.org
Sun Mar 22 12:12:04 EDT 2020

*1,400 old face masks were sitting in a basement. They’re now fighting
coronavirus.*

Photo Caption:

The masks were stored for several years at the InfoAge Science and History
Center in Wall Township, Monmouth County.InfoAge Science and History Center

*By Anthony G. Attrino | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com
<http://connect.nj.com/staff/AAttrino/posts.html>*

Volunteers at one of New Jersey’s most historic museums on Thursday donated
more than 1,400 N-95 face masks to a local hospital and other emergency
workers to help them fight the spread of coronavirus
<https://www.nj.com/coronavirus/>.

“They were in the back of one of our warehouses, literally gathering dust,”
said Mike Ruane, chief executive officer of InfoAge Science and History
Center in Monmouth County. <https://infoage.org/>

The masks, which had originally been ordered eight years ago for people
responding to Hurricane Sandy, were uncovered days ago inside at the museum
on Marconi Road in Wall Township.

The museum is the site of the former U.S. Army base Camp Evans and the
Evans Signal Laboratory, where scientists in 1946 bounced the first radio
signals off the moon.

When Hurricane Sandy swept across the state in 2012, devastating Monmouth
County, a slew of volunteer recovery workers built a headquarters for
themselves on InfoAge’s sprawling grounds, which contains 11 museums and
five exhibits spread out across 34 acres.

The masks were ordered for volunteers, who spent months knocking down
damaged homes and repairing what they could.

“The masks were needed for the workers, who went all over Monmouth County,
tearing down sheetrock and helping to rebuild,” Ruane said.

When the coronavirus pandemic hit, a museum worker remembered the masks
were stored in a warehouse on the property.

“Some of the boxes were banged up and some had mildew,” Ruane said. “But on
the inside, the masks were wrapped up and not compromised at all.”

The museum donated 1,000 masks to Riverview Medical Center in Red Bank and
another 400 to Wall Township, which was planning to distribute them to
emergency workers and senior citizens.

“We think it’s great that we were able to help,” Ruane said. “We are
members of the Wall Township community. We enjoy being here and this is our
way of giving back.”

As of Thursday, at least 742 people in New Jersey had tested positive for
coronavirus. Nine people have died, including members of a family from
Monmouth County.
<https://www.nj.com/coronavirus/2020/03/nj-family-ravaged-by-coronavirus-loses-fourth-member.html>

Jeff Brace
Vice President & Board Member, VCF East Showrunner
Vintage Computer Federation
http://www.vcfed.org/
jeffrey at vcfed.org