[vcf-midatlantic] How's everyone doing?

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Fri Mar 27 13:17:44 EDT 2020

On Fri, Mar 27, 2020 at 5:58 AM ajpierson1 via vcf-midatlantic
> In the mean time, I've played through Doom Eternal which was amazing.

I see my friends playing that but I'm pretty sure it will crush my gaming box.

> I've also repaired my Heathkit H89's power problems which knocked it out of commission on Friday night of VCF East last year.

I recently acquired an H89.  I haven't even powered it on yet and it's
in the basement of our makerspace so I won't be getting to it anytime
soon.

> ...while I was making the repairs the other day, I swapped the old linear regulator for a drop-in switch mode supply (also in a TO-3 package).  So far, I've had good luck with those in a VIC-20 and a 1541 drive, thus it seemed like a natural choice to reduce heat output in my H89.

Which one of these are you using?  I have a similar assortment of
machines (and there are some of these in PETs as well) so it's a part
I could use in multiple locations.

>  If any of you are familiar with the Votrax SC-01-A speech synthesizer chip, I scored a Type'N Talk on ebay recently, and spent some time figuring out how to interface with it properly.

I saw your posts.  The arcade-sized Gorf and the RB5X robot have
either an SC-01 or SC-02 (I'd have to check).  Nice chip.

Sounds like you have plenty of fun projects going.

Cheers,

-ethan