[vcf-midatlantic] How's everyone doing?

Jeffrey Brace jeffrey at vcfed.org
Sat Mar 28 18:59:52 EDT 2020

Seems like some are busier with their jobs and most can work from home. And
some (like me) I'm glad for the break from the daily grind and barely
getting enough sleep. I'm actually able to get a full night's rest! I've
been walking daily which is good for me physically and mentally. I started
out with 3 miles per day and am up to 7 miles (not all at once). At night
when it is clear, I'm starting to use stargazing apps to explore stars,
constellations, planets. From a very young age I loved astronomy, but have
had very little time to explore that as a hobby for quite some time.

Economically I'm good for now, albeit unemployed. I should be fine for
another two months before there are problems. My main job is substitute
teaching and since no schools are open, I don't work. So I filed for
unemployment. It took a few days because the website was overloaded. Still
waiting to hear back after a week. My side job Uber driving could continue,
but I don't feel safe doing that. And even Uber Eats I don't feel safe
enough even though it is just food pickup and delivery. I've been
supporting my volunteer job at Taekwondo by teaching from home via Facetime
and Zoom. It helps me to keep fit and interacting with people. Haven't done
any VCF related stuff as that isn't a priority now.

I have taken care of long neglected tasks like putting on my anti-glare
protector on my iPhone that I got for Christmas. And seat covers on my car
that I have had for over 2 years (now I can easily clean up messes by Uber
riders, ewww).

And now I can finally finish my studying for my third and final teaching
exam, that I have been too busy to study for that past 6 months. My goal is
to get a full time public elementary school position by next September.
Then I would at least have a salary job where I can work from home and
still get paid when disasters like this happen. I envy those in positions
where they can work from how. All my jobs are interacting with people.
Anyway scheduled my teacher exam for April 17, but that may be pushed back
depending on whether Brookdale opens its testing center by that point.

Other projects I have lined up include cleaning up my room, storage space
(including organizing my vintage computer collection and selecting items
for sale), etc.

I'm thankful that I'm in a position where I'm living with family and can
get support from them while unemployed. I have no idea what I would do if I
was on my own. I empathize with those who are in much more dire economic
positions.

Keep in touch everyone and don't hesitate to reach out to me for any reason.
Take care, stay safe and healthy!