[vcf-midatlantic] How's everyone doing?

Jeffrey Brace jeffrey at vcfed.org
Sat Mar 28 19:08:56 EDT 2020

On Fri, Mar 27, 2020 at 12:49 PM Michael Thompson via vcf-midatlantic <

> > Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2020 23:42:21 -0400
> > Subject: [vcf-midatlantic] How's everyone doing?
> >
> > Things are rough these days. How's everyone handling it?
> >
> > --
> > Jeff Brace
> >

> I work from home periodically and used to travel more than 50% of the time.
> With the VPN I can connect to anything that I need on the company network,
> so it really doesn't matter if I am in the office or not. I spend about 40%
> of my time on conference calls, and they work fine from home. So for me
> work is normal.
>
> Home life is a little different. We just went shopping during elder hours.
> There were very few people in the supermarket, so social distancing was
> easy. The shelves were about 80% full and were being restocked. There were
> no wipes or hand sanitizer. Canned vegetables were a little thin on the
> shelves. They did have TP today so maybe people who are hoarding it already
> have all they can store. Last week there were no Cheerios. This week it was
> buy two get one free. I think that it will be hit or miss for a while until
> shoppers get used to this new normal and the demand settles out. We haven't
> tried one of the delivery grocery services yet, and are using shopping as
> an excuse to get out of the house. I see lots more delivery trucks in the
> neighborhood, so others are ordering everything they need online.
>
> We walk in our neighborhood during the day. There are probably a lot more
> walkers than normal, which is a good thing.
>
> I connected a battery maintainer to my car because I haven't driven it in
> two weeks. I can't take advantage of  lower fuel prices because the tank is
> still full.
>
> My trip to Germany and Sweden is probably going to get canceled. I was
> really looking forward to visiting another PDP-9. Maybe we can reschedule
> for late in the summer or next year.

Have you visited the Rhode Island Computer Museum? They have a PDP-9:
http://www.ricomputermuseum.org/Home/equipment/dec-pdp-9

> --
> Michael Thompson

Jeff Brace
Vice President & Board Member, VCF East Showrunner
Vintage Computer Federation
http://www.vcfed.org/
jeffrey at vcfed.org