[vcf-midatlantic] How To Geek article on floppy data recovery

Herb Johnson hjohnson at retrotechnology.info
Sat May 2 15:56:37 EDT 2020

Jeff Brace suggests:

https://www.howtogeek.com/669331/how-to-read-a-floppy-disk-on-a-modern-pc-or-mac/

A link to a literally geeky article, mostly on using USB devices that
happen to operate certain floppy drives. Then it gets to real methods:
find an old PC or Mac, read your disks, transfer the results (somehow).
The article finishes up its review of USB devices to read common PC 3.5
/ 5.25 diskettes and Mac 3.5" diskettes, with this wise advice for REAL
floppy diskettes:

"Luckily, there are other resources if you require something more
complex, like accessing an 8-inch floppy drive that contains CP/M files.
http://www.retrotechnology.com/herbs_stuff/s_drives_howto.html

  Herb Johnson maintains an impressive site full of technical data on
various floppy disk systems if you’d like to learn more about how they
work."

http://www.retrotechnology.com/herbs_stuff/s_drives.html

I couldn't have said it better myself. ;) The real meat on floppy drives
and diskettes is:

http://www.retrotechnology.com/herbs_stuff/drive.html

I was going to post a more considered response to the article Jeff
linked to. But Jeff only posted a link, why should I post a lecture in
reply?

I'll just say, that description and the modern items it references,
versus the ancient things it references; simply reminds me of the gulf
between 21st century consumer-digital-users, and 20th century computer
owners and those who restore those systems and objects today. And, the
kinds of junk that's sold which pretends to be some kind of "USB to
floppy drive" device. I'm glad to find, my Web site still has utility;
and why that's so.

Regards, Herb

http://www.retrotechnology.com OR .net