[vcf-midatlantic] Paper Tape readers from CNC machines

Bill Degnan billdegnan at gmail.com
Wed May 20 02:05:32 EDT 2020

On Tue, May 19, 2020 at 6:47 PM Jeffrey Golas via vcf-midatlantic <

> Bill, let me know how you make out but it looks like Duane gave you the
> info on the Fanuc model.
>
> Duane I saw one of those cases on ebay and thought it was cool! If you
> have notes/info on the 2702 please pass them along, as its likely the same
> as the 2701.
>
> On the 2701, one side of the ribbon connector is almost completely ground,
> on the other side pins 1-5 appear to be control (possibly outputs like
> strobe), the next 8 pins are bits, the next 3 may be Fwd/reverse control,
> one after that is ground and not sure about the last 3-4. This is a 40 pin
> connector.
>
> Mine has a seperate screw terminal on the opposite side for power,
> although it may take 3 voltages, not sure. Motor is 12v but judging by the
> MASSIVE ceramic resistor it may be set up for 24v.
>
> Jeff

Jeff,
I have everything I need now to get started but I still need to look up how
to power the reader hardware definitively.  I see where the +5V power input
goes.  The two power input leads labeled "100B" and"100A".

Here is a pic of the board I need to power:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/GE-FANUC-Tape-Recorder-Board-A20B-0004-0280-Used-20717-/361323004166

Who here specifically has worked with the FANUC A20B-0004 reader or
something FANUc from the early 80's?   This FANUC 6 manual, which includes
this model of tape reader as part of a larger system, references the part
numbers found on the reader
http://cncmanual.com/download/1646/

>From the manual (starting from page 320 or so) it looks like inputs 100A
and 100B are both/shared (?) 24V inbound, and the 24V DC is brought down to
18V (?).  1Amp.

I will document the process onto vintagecomputer.net once I have some
progress reading tapes.  I am thinking I should attach a 24VDC and 5V DC to
the board.

Bill