[vcf-midatlantic] Ken Thompson video

Alexander Pierson ajpierson1 at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 10 15:09:07 EST 2020

 Bill Degnan via vcf-midatlantic wrote:
>VCF MW and VCF E are two different kinds of show.
That doesn't invalidate the two other VCFed-run events that have both elected to run exhibits/talks simultaneously.  If anything, that makes East the outlier if West, PNW, and MW are all doing it that way.

Bill Degnan via vcf-midatlantic wrote:
>as a veteran exhibitor it's frustrating that you can't really walk around as much as you'd like, and you miss the things going on at the festival sometimes.
I concur.  It's why I've appreciated having help at my exhibit table, so I can step away for a moment to take photos, talk to people, etc. as needed.  Still, there are at least 5 places I'd like to be at any given moment during a show and the exhibit gets priority.  So it goes.

Jason Howe via vcf-midatlantic wrote:
>which helps assuage the disappointment of missing Joe Decuir's keynote last yearThat's unfair to you.  We may elect to be an exhibitor and be part of the show, missing presentations important to us just isn't right if you ask me.

So, how do we break this down?  The VCF East approach is simply that the exhibit floor and keynote timeframes do not overlap, but that means only one keynote per main show day and the full day of classes and smaller subject talks.  The rest of the VCFs have the two overlap, and take a more laissez faire approach (with VCFMW being the extreme example), where people duck out to see a talk and then come back.  Having more than a few talks one wishes to attend throughout the day results in an empty booth, and the logic that lead us to the first approach.  And I fully understand why people want to avoid seeing them unattended for too long.

My point is that there has to be a happy middle ground between the die-hard "we must be shackled to our exhibits" mentality and leaving computers to their lonesome as we socialize and watch the presentations.  Not everyone wants to see talks, and not everyone wants to stay at the table all day long.  Other events of our caliber do this, especially the larger ones, so it's something to consider why the no-overlap approach isn't as common.

Take my perspective with a grain of salt.

-Alexander 'Z' Pierson    On Tuesday, November 10, 2020, 02:23:42 PM EST, Jason Howe via vcf-midatlantic <vcf-midatlantic at lists.vcfed.org> wrote:

 On 11/10/20 11:06 AM, Bill Degnan via vcf-midatlantic wrote:
> Overall flow and schedule and all that is hard to maintain when it's not
> all in the same place.  People can bring "look but don't touch" signs or
> guidance stanchions to place in front of their exhibits for times when no
> one is present to guard the goodies.  Of course I never did this, but as a
> veteran exhibitor it's frustrating that you can't really walk around as
> much as you'd like, and you miss the things going on at the festival
> sometimes.
>
> Bill
>
> On Tue, Nov 10, 2020 at 1:57 PM Dean Notarnicola via vcf-midatlantic <
>
>> I think exhibitors can make the decision to be responsible and go back to
>> their exhibit at the appropriate time. Best of both worlds. Why should
>> attendees have a talk limited by the availability of the exhibitors?

When I've exhibited at the PNW show, the exhibits are open all day, even
while the keynotes are going on.  As an exhibitor, I always took the
approach that I'm part of the show, one of the performers if you will,
that the attendees have just paid money to come see.  I'm member of the
body of VCF, evangelizing about my particular interest niche, educating
passers by on why it's the coolest thing in the world and worthy of
preservation.

I'm not arguing for one approach over the other, just sharing how I look
at it, which helps assuage the disappointment of missing Joe Decuir's
keynote last year, even while I was exhibiting a system he designed. :)

--Jason