[vcf-midatlantic] Ken Thompson video

David Riley fraveydank at gmail.com
Tue Nov 10 21:29:10 EST 2020

On Nov 10, 2020, at 12:13 PM, Dave McGuire via vcf-midatlantic <vcf-midatlantic at lists.vcfed.org> wrote:

> On 11/10/20 11:52 AM, Evan Koblentz via vcf-midatlantic wrote:
> > Last year I got Ken Thompson to come to VCF East and arranged for
> > Brian to be there too.
> >
> > The video reached 100,000 views today: https://youtu.be/EY6q5dv_B-o
> > ... no other VCF video is even close.
>
>  I'm quite certain that I'm not the only person who wants to say something negative about this post.  But, I'm honestly rather tired of being the guy who speaks up and says what everyone else is thinking, and gets a dozen or more private replies in agreement, but not a single public voice of agreement.  So, I will keep my mouth shut and let someone else perform the service.

It's getting a bit old, yeah.

Evan, everyone respects what you've done for the organization.  But at some point every organization grows too big for one person to manage and either it collapses under its own weight or that person needs to either delegate or hand off their responsibilities in their entirety.  It's not a fun process, and I don't envy your position.  But you made the decision to stomp out in a huff.  No one is going to blame you for that, but you can't expect things to go back to the way they were.

Sometimes, things don't work out the way we'd like.  I've had PLENTY of that.  We all have.  The little digs at the current leadership aren't improving your position any.  It's OK to let some other folks take the wheel and guide the institution you built, and it's a lot less work!  Some times you gotta just let your baby grow and enjoy the results.

- Dave