[vcf-midatlantic] Ken Thompson video

Bill Degnan billdegnan at gmail.com
Wed Nov 11 09:08:24 EST 2020

I respect both Mike and Tony's statements and corrections.  Some of them
are misunderstandings to what I said or meant, but I dont debate what you
said and I can take a punch anyway.  I still think Evan was kind of
manipulated.  I have a huge respect for everyone you mentioned for what
they contributed to bring things to the next level.  You are correct that I
have been rock throwing,.sorry and accept my apology.  You are correct that
I made it sound like it's too much of a business and not about the hobby,
perhaps, but I witnessed the changes and evolution and *at times* it was
that way.  Perhaps less so now but some questions about governance remain.
 A lot of this evolution had to happen no doubt or the club would stay
small and unorganized .  Corey fixed a lot of structural problems.

Of course there are other clubs out your way Mike, I am just saying that
the life of vcfed flows though what was MARCH and there is nothing like
that managed by vcfed in the west or midwest because these events did not
evolve that way  The new west coast shows were not generated by local
groups.

There was a time before the new MidAtlantic steering committee that
priorities were out of balance and it was too much about control and less
about the hobby.  The pendulum swung back.  Also, the new steering
committee brought back some balance.  I never implied that the huge
personal donations of effort and money were anything but selfless acts of
service for the benefit of everyone.  I am not claiming I or past members
did more, but a lot of that effort has been forgotten as if all of a sudden
there was this club Evan made magically and you guys rescued it from Evan
and now it's great.

As far as kennett Classic goes, my original offer proposed to the board was
to set it up as a new satellite office within vcfed for media and
communications. I did not have a show to run and I felt bad that I lived
too far away from wall, nj to be there and volunteer more often.  Sometimes
it seemed like that was all we ever talked about when I was with the board,
running shows and tshirt sales.  Nothing about curation, nothing about the
needs of the original membership.  It seemed like these things were Evan's
to deal with and not the concern of the board at all.

I wanted to set up a media center for the group and host it in Kennett to
inject new life into my involvement with this group.  My offer was rejected
so I quit the board and started kennett Classic anyway.  There was a time
when I put in as much into MARCH as some of you now put into aspects of
vcfed.  But I dint care to compare my involvement and effort other than to
say I earned then right to say what I am saying, throw a few rocks
perhaps.  I also admit that it sure *seems* like I am just complaining
here, and a lot of you did not know how much personal.time I put into MARCH
before most of you joined this group.  By then, and due to health problems
for about three years, my involvement was a shell of what it had once
been.  I am sorry that I dropped off.

I am empathic and loyal to Evan here, despite his mouthing off and temper.
I counseled him two days ago about using this whole Ken Thimpson thing as
an opportunity to apologize for how the talk was handled before it blew up,
but it balloned into this!  I also see why you all have issues with him.  I
totally see his perspective though,.have a little mercy publically.  I am
just trying to set the record straight.

The whole profit/non profit thing is a tax thing dont be self righteous
about one or the other structure, it's still business. KC simply represents
my vision of what I wanted to work on at VCF next, in was going to be my
way to get more involved, not make a profit for myself.  My offer was
basically ignored.

I still think having no vcfed board elections is concerning and I still
dont see why the MAtlantic group should report to anyone but that's just
me.

Bill

On Wed, Nov 11, 2020, 5:43 AM Tony Bogan via vcf-midatlantic <