[vcf-midatlantic] Ken Thompson video

corey cohen coreyvcf at gmail.com
Wed Nov 11 09:57:25 EST 2020

I have avoided chiming into this conversation for a few reasons, but wanted to thank Bill for his kind words “Corey fixed a lot of structural problems”.  I believe everyone involved in VCF helped to fix these problems, I only enforced what I am required to do as the treasurer for a public charity.  This may be where Evan feels he was forced out, and I’m sorry he feels that way.  Many of us have tried to turn this hobby into a sustaining income so that we can get away from our legacy day jobs and I applaud Bill for being able to make this work. I have tried with my stint as TV producer, Apple-1 consulting and other stuff, but have not seen the success he has had were I could say good bye to “modern computing” and spend a good portion of my work time in the vintage world.  This “dream” was the impetus for Evan leaving the VCF board of directors to avoid a conflict of interest.  Evan wanted to take a shot at seeing if professional fundraising for VCF and artifact rentals could be something to allow him to turn VCF into a career not just a hobby.   He was paid a commission on this work as a contractor to VCF and did help us become more financially stable with this work.  His actual executive director position was voluntary, though we covered reasonable daily expenses, he actually did not receive compensation.   In his capacity as a contractor the BOD was not allow to direct his daily operations or he would have been considered an employee by NJ State law covering non-profit volunteers where we would have had many legally required expenses that we could not really do at the time.

I also want to thank the steering committee for really stepping up the local game and not only making improvements on the actual museum, but real steps towards having a climate controlled warehouse.  Much of this thanks need to go to Tony Bogan aka Captain Tony, who has use much of his spare personal time, money and sweat equity to get us on the path to this outcome.   The rest of the Steering Committee has also been critical to this, but Tony more than anyone has take on a lot of this burden personally.  Tony will not be disappearing when his term on the committee expires, but will still be very involved with the warehouse refurbishment and our day to day relationships with the other groups at InfoAge.  One thing the steering committee has really shown is that we can work well with other groups as they seem to find a person on the committee the like and that is the person they go to eliminating any potential clashes of personality and to be honest greatly benefiting InfoAge and the other groups as much as ourselves.

I also wanted to make mention about Jeff Brace.  Before Jeff started heavy involvement as the project manager and eventually co-show runner for VCF East,  the show was running on a "knifes edge" every year.   There were many “emergencies” that the public was not aware of that required duct tape and baling wire and to be honest panic among the show team that Jeff with his “post-mortem” analysis and managerial skills prevented from happening again.  This did cause some conflict with Evan who was very much “a seat of the pants” type of show management style.  Jeff as VCF East show runner and the steering committee were well on to hosting a much larger and expansive show for Spring 2020, but thanks to Covid-19, Jeff and team were able to pivot and produce a great hybrid/virtual show where we did not have to charge a fee to watch the presentations or talks.   We learned a lot from the experience of Erik Klein, the show runner for VCF West, hosting a virtual show in August.

I know in these trying times people’s blood can get a little too warm at times and also sometimes email/online messages don’t always get interpreted the way they were intended, but to quote Rodney King, “Can’t we all just get a long”.

One final note: I cannot help but be saddened by Mike Brutman’s announcement.  I have loved working with him on the Board of Directors of VCF, and while we didn’t always agree, we could always go out and have a drink after a show.   I truly hope that he stays involved as a member and moderator of the VCFed online forums as I believe everything he does is from the heart not from heartburn.

As always, Cheers,
Corey