[vcf-midatlantic] Moving forward

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Wed Nov 11 15:00:04 EST 2020

On 11/11/20 8:59 AM, Evan Koblentz via vcf-midatlantic wrote:
 > What I see is a bunch of my so-called "friends" jumping on a vigilante
 > bandwagon, as if the group was going nowhere or must "recover"
because > my leadership held it back.

   Pretty much, yes.  You didn't lead, you dictated.  That dictatorship
had some very good results, don't get me wrong, but let's call it what
it is.

 > Fifteen years spent building the collection, the museum, East, pushing
 > forward the return of West, building amazing relationships with ACM,
 > Bell Labs, Babbage Institute, CHM, IEEE, and all of the other
 > collector/hobbyist groups, winning awards at NYC Maker Faire, growing
 > the budget from zero to $50,000/year ... how easily we forget.

   Nobody has forgotten the huge amount of very successful work you put
into starting the organization.  But YOU'VE clearly forgotten who
started this thread, and what that initial message was all about.  What
people ARE complaining about is what you did after you quit.

 > Corey said it best when I resigned back in December: the group, the
 > museum, and VCF East all likely would not exist if not for me.

   I'd say that's very likely.  But that's no longer relevant, because
you quit and turned yourself into an enemy.  And for reasons that I just
don't get, you're still allowed on this list, when you all you do is
stir up trouble like this.

   This sort of trouble destroys communities.  Is this a typical "if I
can't have it nobody else will" type of situation?

 > Yet hear you all are trampling on my grave and threatening to kick
 > me out.

   Hear vs. here.  I guess you rely on software assistance with stuff
like that when you're being the end-all, be-all of journalism.

   But that aside, there is no grave, because you never left.  You
remained subscribed to this list, just so you could stir up crap like this.

 > Apple without Steve Jobs is nothing special.

   Are you seriously comparing yourself to Steve Jobs?

   Evan, you need to spend less time in front of a keyboard and more
time in front of a therapist.

   I've asked you personally to drop this several times.  I'm asking you
once more.

                -Dave

--
Dave McGuire, AK4HZ