[vcf-midatlantic] UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supplies) was: How's Everyone Doing

Jeffrey Brace jeffrey at vcfed.org
Sun Nov 29 18:46:39 EST 2020

So I finally got around to buying the batteries for my two "old" UPS. They
cost $12 and $18, with $12 shipping. I got it from refurbups.com

I finally got around to ordering them to protect my new custom built PC
that I built (with Connor and Ian's help). I want to protect the new
(expensive) parts.

On Fri, Apr 24, 2020 at 2:20 PM RETRO Innovations via vcf-midatlantic <

> On 4/24/2020 12:10 PM, Jeffrey Brace via vcf-midatlantic wrote:
> > I decided to make a new thread since there is a lot of interest in this
> > topic, etc.
> >
> > @Dave Mcguire. Thanks for the tip on where to buy replacement batteries.
> >
> > As far as I know APC is the most recommended brand.
> > I see others are using Panasonic.
> > I'm curious to know which brands everyone recommends or discourages?
>
> I echo kudos to @Dave Mcquire.  I have a APC SU1400NET and SU2200NET
> here that are in need of batteries, but I'd put off buying them because
> I thought it might be best to just buy a new unit.  refurbups has nice
> prices and it looks like a cool deal on a APC SUA750 ($99) that is hard
> to beat (CyberPower 750 UPS does not run for as long and is 73 at the
> cheapest I could find)
>
> Finishing an order now.
>
> I'm not a UPS guru by any means, but these Smart UPS units I have have
> been tanks.  Moved 3 times, I replaced the batteries once (easy to do),
> and are easy to disassemble for cleaning/repair. They are built like a
> tank, too, so I guess that figures (they have a slot for Ethernet
> control and such, and I see cards are $15.00 or so on eBay).
>
> Jim

Jeff Brace
Vice President & Board Member
Vintage Computer Festival East Show-runner
http://www.vcfed.org/
jeffrey at vcfed.org
cell: 732-759-1783