[vcf-midatlantic] Next Year's show - VCF East 2021

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Mon Oct 19 12:58:07 EDT 2020

On Sat, Oct 17, 2020 at 10:45 AM Alexander Jacocks <jjacocks at gmail.com> wrote:
> I’d be happy to participate with text adventures on SunOS, on my Sun 3/60 or my Sparc 2. Both would have been common computer lab gaming platforms.

The InfoTaskForce Z-machine goes back to the late 80s and would
definitely have been run on workstations in the Sun 3/60 era.

https://ifarchive.org/indexes/if-archive/infocom/interpreters/old/itf/

There's Frotz, of course, but in the late 80s, there was only the ITF
interpreter.  I got it working on VMS.  It was a trip playing Infocom
games on a $120,000 VAX.

I also have a working ZAP assembler for SunOS 3 that runs on the 3/60,
original from 35 years ago.  The code is so crufty that it doesn't
compile on modern compilers and even with some basic standard tweaks
to modernize it, it does not produce sane output.  It will take quite
a bit of work to bring it up to date, so for me, it was easier to set
up a real Sun 3/60 to test the veracity of the original binary.  It's
able to take authentic ZAP source and produce functional game files.

> We should definitely have at least one system running PDP-10 Zork.

36-bit hardware is one of my gaps, but I've run original MDL Zork via
emulation, plus there's also the modern MDL runtime Confusion.  With
some minor patches to the original code, it works fine.

There's also ZDungeon, my module-for-module port of MDL Zork to Inform
6 that I did close to 20 years ago.  That runs on anything with a V5
Z-machine.

https://ifarchive.org/if-archive/games/zcode/zdungeon.z5

Looks like it's been 16 years since the last release.  Good excuse to
dust off the source and fix (at least) one last bug I know about.

-ethan