[vcf-midatlantic] Modem banks

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Tue Sep 1 20:14:18 EDT 2020

On 9/1/20 4:39 PM, Kimberley Hart via vcf-midatlantic wrote:
> Port master 2/e with 30 sportster modems hanging off it. That is how Erol’s
> internet started. They used the spinner racks from their video store to
> hold them all.  I knew someone that worked there a little later, but the
> story was passed down.

   We did exactly that at Digex, we pushed those PM-2Es hard.  In the
beginning we held the modems on rack-mounted shelves, but we had a lot
of problems with overheating,  We initially spaced them out with Legos
(yes, Legos!), but we quickly replaced them with custom-made metal trays
with spacer pins as soon as we could afford to do so.

   (When courting $100K+/mo contracts with datacenter tours, one must
establish credibility and build trust...and one doesn't do that with Legos.)

               -Dave

--
Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
New Kensington, PA